Friday, June 26, 2009

Assurance of Salvation - Am I Saved?

"Salvation happens at a moment in time but it is demonstrated over time" from Dr. James McDonald's message "Are You Saved?"



Any message about the assurance of salvation I listen to very carefully.

I used to believe that the reason I examine my relationship with Christ so frequently is because I am not sure of my salvation. However, as I read my Bible I've learned that 2 Corinthians 13:5 tells us " Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you[a]; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith. " (NLT)

So I look for evidence in my life that I am a disciple.
John 8:31-32 31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” [emphasis mine]


  • You are saved if you believe in Jesus and all that he is. - Recognize that Jesus is the only way to Salvation. Believe that he is the Son of God and he died for our sins, was buried and resurrected.
  • You are saved if you abide in Jesus' words - develop a desire to read and understand the Bible.
  • You are saved if you know the truth. Knowing the truth makes us live for and serve Christ. Knowing the truth changes a true Christian. More confident in God. More loving. More humble.
  • You are saved when you are free. Free from sin.

So the next question after "Are you saved?" is "How do you know?"

If I examine the evidence in my life I realize that I am not the person I once was. I want to do the right thing although I might not always do the right thing.

I must admit that I don't do things like calling in sick when I'm not all that sick (lying) or take an extra newspaper from the newspaper dispenser (stealing) anymore. Little changes like that in my opinion, add up to great changes in a person that others notice.




No comments:

Post a Comment