Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Be merciful to me Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony." Psalm 6:2 (NIV)
If I would have had knowledge of this verse this past Sunday this would have been what I would have prayed but instead I simply prayed "Help me God. Please help me. I want to die!"
Have you every had a migraine headache? I had my first when I was 23 or 24. I'd never heard of migraines before so when I woke up with my head hurting so badly I thought I must have a tumor or something and I'm dying. As a matter of fact I called my husband at work and told him. "You have to come home right now. I'm dying." I'm not kidding. That's what I said. Within minutes he was home. When he came in I was in a heap on the floor. He immediately knew what was wrong and closed all the blinds and put me in bed. The movement of the bed made my nausea worse so I moved to the floor. It was hours before I got relief. Any meds he tried to give me I couldn't keep down so I just lay as still as possible and waited. Unfortunately, that was not my last experience with migraine.
My mom doesn't get them and so she asks me what if feels like. I told her I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone. If there were a gun on the table I'd be tempted to blow my head off. The pain is so bad you can't think about anything else. The pounding and the nausea are exhausting. Every sound makes your head feel like it's going to explode. When it's all over you're spent.
I don't have as many migraines as I used to. I've learned my triggers so if I'm careful about what I eat and I proactive with my meds when I know the weather is going to be stormy I'm OK but I'm learning that I must be much more vigilant because
MSG IS EVERYWHERE
Ok, It's not really everywhere but it's in places I never thought to look and I found out it's lurking in one of my most favorite snacks. Lays Kettle Cooked Mesquite BBQ flavored chips.
I can safely have a handful or maybe two but Saturday night I think I ate close to half the bag (yes I know I'm supposed to be watching my cholesterol and dieting) . So that's why I woke with a migraine Sunday morning.
It was a pathetic sight really. I couldn't even lay down because my head hurt worse. My 4 year old was sleeping over so I sat up in his bed (it's close to the bathroom) and tried to be as still as possible. The slightest movement would send me running for the bathroom. Sweat was pouring form my forehead...everywhere really. I couldn't keep medicine down. I whispered. "God help me. Help me please"
I waited and I'm not sure when but I did realize that my head wasn't pounding and that my stomach felt better. I gingerly slid down to put my head on the pillow. Ahhhh......relief. I prayed "Thank you, God. Thank you so much for taking my headache away. You take such good care of me. Thank you...Amen" I closed my eyes and went to sleep. I've been relaying this story to everyone who will listen ever since.
God answers prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment