Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Not in the Bible

I've been thumbing through You Mean That Isn't in the Bible by David A Rich.  In the book David discusses 10 popular beliefs that simply aren't true (the subtitle of the book).  The one I was most surprised to find listed was "God helps those who help themselves".  It's just not in the Bible, but many people make this statement as fact.  I'd heard it all my life and believed it.

Photo courtesy of Enrico Maria

I thought it meant that you can't just wait around for help and not only that, but you shouldn't ask for help.   The person who can take care of their problems by themselves is a virtuous righteous person...or so I thought but it's just not true.

We as humans created in the image of God crave relationships.  A healthy loving relationship allows us to lean on others and especially God.  We should cry out to God first when we are in trouble.  Slowly I'm learning that no problem is too small for God. 
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. NIV

Typically when something throws me off balance the first thought I have is "What am I going to do now?" Feel free to imagine a whining tone it would be correct. Then I go about trying to fix what is wrong. I make phone calls, research on the internet, ask friends for advice, etc but very seldom do I remember to stop, pray and ask God for a solution and then wait for him to reveal his solution to me.



Galatians 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.  ESV
I'm not typically a private person but my whole life isn't an open book either.  I don't think anyone wants to share with someone else when they're hurting, frightened or discouraged.  During those times when I do remember to ask God for help, he reminds me to seek comfort and assistance from my brothers and sisters in Christ.  This I think helps me in two ways.  First, it humbles me.  It forces me to let others know that I need help and I can't handle EVERYTHING on my own.  Second, it allows me to give others the opportunity to obey God.

I Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.  NIV

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing Stacey. I have been more frequently trying to remember to stop and consider God first in all my struggles and decisions. It helps with clarity and acceptance of what is. It calms me during times when excitement might cause impulsive or irrational reactions to both good and bad circumstances. I am so glad that God has touched your life in such a way. He truly is amazing. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete