Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Macaroni and Cheese (Blackaroni)


This recipe is passed down from my Granny to my mother and then down to me.  It’s my go-to dish for potlucks.  It doubles easily and is very easy to make.  The secret ingredient that gives it that little tang is yellow mustard.
1 – 1lb box of elbow macaroni
8 oz – Sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
2 – 14oz cans evaporated milk
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 tsp yellow mustard
salt
pepper
paprika

Directions
Cook elbows according to package directions so that they are al dente
Shred cheddar cheese while the elbows cook.
Drain elbows and mix with the butter to keep them from sticking.
In casserole dish mix together noodles, cans of evaporated milk, eggs, salt, pepper, cheese, and yellow mustard.  Add salt and pepper to taste. You can add bread crumbs on top if you prefer but I just sprinkle a little paprika sometimes.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes until set in the center.
Bonus- this is also pretty much the same recipe I use for my squash casserole with the following changes
Replace elbows with yellow squash
Add one sweet onion - diced
Boil squash and onion together until squash is soft.
Mix all incredients together in a casserole and bake at 350 degrees until set.
Enjoy!

-Oops! I forgot the eggs.  I've edited the post to add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment